FFA Cup Quarter Final. UWANFC vs Rockingham City, UWA Sports Park, 03 June 2019

It was a disappointing day for the Boys in Green as they were defeated 3-0 at the Mac by Rockingham City in the Quarter-finals of the FFA Cup.

With a few late injuries and illnesses, the Uni boys started the game well and were on top for the first 10 minutes. Early pressure from the wings, with the likes of Sam Kent and Nik Theodorou playing balls into the Rockingham box, created some problems for their defence, however, none of which were converted.

In the next 5 minutes, Rockingham started coming into the game with some chances of their own and, in the 18th minute, the Rockingham number 8 pounced on an unfortunate rebound inside the Uni box, passing the ball into the back of the UWA net and making it 1-0 to Rockingham early on in the first half.

Problems only doubled for the still scrambled Uni defence as the Rockingham number 10 scored from close range, putting the visitors 2-0 up inside 20 minutes and in a comfortable position in the game.

The boys looked to bounce back after the two Rockingham goals, applying some pressure of their own as, in the 26th minute, Tim Robertson pounced on a Rockingham mistake on the edge of the visitors’ box. However, the foul from the Rockingham player was waved away by the referee and the score stayed 2-0.

Little left to show from both teams, the score in the first half finished 2-0 and left the Boys in Green with some work to do in the second half if they wanted to progress into the semi- finals of the FFA Cup.

A slow starting second half left Michael Janssen to make his first substitution in the 60th minute, bringing Conor Devlin on for Tom Moroney, his first touch hitting the ball just over the bar of the Rockingham goal.

In the 70th minute, Bryce Conway made his introduction to the game, replacing Sam Kent. However, in the 74th minute a misplaced clearance from Tim Rossi fell to the Rockingham number 10, who lobbed it into the right-hand side of the goal and put the visitors 3-0 up with 15 minutes left to play.

An Alex Kretowicz shot narrowly missing the far post of the Rockingham goal in the 76th minute and a 93rd minute booking after a late challenge from the Rockingham number 4 on Josh Marocchi saw the game finish 3-0 and the Uni boys knocked out of the FFA Cup after what was an excellent cup run from the boys.

The boys look to bounce back from the defeat this weekend as they host Morley Windmills at the Mac in the next round of the State League on Saturday.

Match report by Cameron Holley.