State League Div1. Western Knights vs UWANFC, Nash Field, 22 June 2019

It was a day to forget for the Boys in Green as the Knights ran riot in another edition of the Western Derby, beating the undermanned UWANFC First Team 4-1 at Nash Field.

Despite kicking off the game strong, it was Knights who had the first opportunity of the game as the number 21 played in and slotted the ball past Luke Stonebridge and into the bottom left corner of the goal, making it 1-0 inside the first 5 minutes.

Uni looked to respond quickly and a minute later were rewarded as Ivwa Simbile was awarded a penalty after being fouled in the Knights’ box. It was Riaz Kelly who stepped up and buried it into the top right corner of the goal, making it 1-1 with only 7 minutes on the clock.  

The emphatic start to the game continued as tackles flew in from both teams, showing signs of a fiery derby affair. It wasn’t long before the referee produced his first card of the game for the Knights’ captain after a late challenge on Sam Guthridge.

Just before the end of the first half, a brilliant double-save from Luke Stonebridge kept the scores level as both teams went into halftime one a piece.

Once again, it was the Boys in Green who started off better of the two teams in the second half. They were rewarded for their high pressing as they were given a free kick just outside the Knights’ box. However, the shot from Riaz Kelly didn’t trouble the Knights’ keeper. 

Unfortunately, the Knights’ attack became too much for the Uni defence and, in the 58th minute, an unlucky rebound fell to their number 11, who slotted it past Luke into the goal to make it 2-1.

Not too long after, Michael Janssen made a couple of attacking changes, bringing both Sam Kent and Tom White on. However, Uni’s afternoon went from bad to worse as the number 9 for Knights tapped in a cross from the left, making it 3-1 to the rivals and an uphill battle to get back into the game.

To put the nail in the coffin of a disappointing afternoon, the Knights number 10 scored to make it 4-1 with the last kick of the game, meaning the Uni boys would leave the derby empty handed as they hit the halfway mark in their season.

Elsewhere, the Reserves also fell 3-1 to a rampant Knights outfit whilst the U18s continued their brilliant winning form as they won 1-0, now sitting 7 points clear at the top of the table.

Match report by Cameron Holley.